The Owl and The Pussy Cat

The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea In a beautiful 'red and white'(!) boat, They took some honey, and plenty of money, Wrapped up in a five pound note. The Owl looked up to the stars above, And sang to a small guitar, 'O lovely Pussy! O Pussy my love, What a beautiful Pussy you are, You are, You are!What a beautiful Pussy you are!'


Edward Lear











Thursday 23 June 2011

Allotment photos


Hooray, here it is, my allotment shed with roses round the door, well 'rose' anyway.

Unfortunately I've realised that this rose is FAR too vigorous for such a tiny shed and will completely swamp it in no time, so I shall have to replace it with a different one. Don't worry tho, it will be found a good home. By the way it was grown from a cutting. A lot of roses will grow very well from cuttings, especially the older, and often healthier varieties.
And now here are two of the beautiful poppies on my allotment. I save the seeds and use them in bread and cakes.


 And my tiny pond. You can just see the tips of my wellies to give you an idea of scale. I think this poor lilly is a bit crowded in here, perhaps I ought to treat it to a bigger pond sometime?
 And golden marjoram, possibly my favourite plant. Looks beautiful, tastes great, dries well, is super easy to grow, split and share, and is completely covered in bees and butterflies when it flowers
 and finally a quick harvest shot, (tiny bit over exposed, sorry), blackcurrants to be made into jelly for trifle base, lettuce and marigold petals for salad, spinach and sorrel just out of shot, that went into last nights risotto. And finally gooseberries probably destined for pie, crumble or jam. These are the sweetest gooseberries I've ever tasted. If left long enough they go completely red, and the birds love them then!

No comments:

Post a Comment