The Owl and The Pussy Cat

The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea In a beautiful 'red and white'(!) boat, They took some honey, and plenty of money, Wrapped up in a five pound note. The Owl looked up to the stars above, And sang to a small guitar, 'O lovely Pussy! O Pussy my love, What a beautiful Pussy you are, You are, You are!What a beautiful Pussy you are!'


Edward Lear











Sunday 25 September 2011

Colour in the garden in autumn

Although I've been a professional gardener for over 25 years I am fortunate to still love gardening. I've been out gardening (for other people) all day today, and what a lovely day it's been gosh I had my shorts on!
When I moved to this house 3 years ago there weren't many flower beds, and the ones that did exist were full of lots of weeds and strangled plants. So, in some of my spare time I've been clearing beds and creating new ones. I very rarely buy plants. Often people that I work for have too much of something as a lot of plants multiply by expanding sideways or self seeding. I hate throwing things away so I often bring home these unwanted lumps of plant and re-distribute them or plant them in my own garden. I also take cuttings, save seeds and grow things from seed. I do gardening on the cheap. Below are a couple of pictures from around the garden at the moment.
This is an area I only planted up this spring. I'm not sure if the rudbeckias are perennial or annual, a friend gave me the seedlings. They have been fabulous, flowering constantly all summer, and still going strong

Sunflowers, rudbeckia, some kind of polygonum
and a wild mullein which seeds itself around everywhere



Sunflower, aren't they fabulous

Below is a wonderful autumn show of pinky red colours, purely coincidence, as I just shove things in where there's a space!
Fuchsia, a very late michaelmas daisy and sedum

Tall yellow daisy!
This can be pretty invasive, but it looks fab here
I don't know what it is, not very professional of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment