The Owl and The Pussy Cat

The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea In a beautiful 'red and white'(!) boat, They took some honey, and plenty of money, Wrapped up in a five pound note. The Owl looked up to the stars above, And sang to a small guitar, 'O lovely Pussy! O Pussy my love, What a beautiful Pussy you are, You are, You are!What a beautiful Pussy you are!'


Edward Lear











Monday 26 September 2011

Harvest Supper and lost rings

On Saturday it's the village Harvest Supper and I've volunteered to help decorate the hall which I did last year, along with Jenny. With the help of a few 'drapes', (mostly old curtains and some curtain linings that I dyed), a bit of moody lighting, lots of candles and flowers, it looked lovely....oh yes and there was LOTS of food!
See photos from last year here, click on 'Harvest Supper' on our village website if this link doesn't go straight to it.

http://www.cheritonbishop.org.uk/

Today I dug out the cloths again, and with the help of some food colouring, a paintbrush and some leaves I did this to a bit of old curtain lining.
Leafy patterns
can you spot the different tree species?

I've no idea if it'll be permanent, I'll try ironing it, but I have a feeling it will wash out. It doesn't matter really, it's just for the evening. I have got some proper fabric paints, but they are expensive, so this was a great way of trying out an idea. I might be brave enough to get the fabric paints out next as this turned out so well... might look good on book covers! I'm also scheming some crab apple 'garlands' as someone has given me bucketloads of them.
This is what my hands looked like after the painting...

oops I'm not a clean and tidy worker, well it was only food colouring.

Can you see that my wedding ring is on the wrong finger?...here's why..

Last week I had noticed that my ring was feeling a bit loose when my hands were cold. I've done less gardening during open studios and wondered if my fingers were getting thinner as a result.
On Thursday I had a day at home. I burned up a big pile of hedge prunings in the field, pruned a wisteria and a clematis, did some raking and tidying up and helped Vince with some carpentry down the road. At the end of the day I washed my hands and noticed with a shock that my ring was missing. We spent the rest of the evening and the following morning searching, but it was like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack. A gold ring suddenly seemed a very small thing to find in a field of rough grass or a flowerbed. Worst of all it may well have gone on the bonfire, where it would probably have ended up as a small blob.
We gave up, it was only a ring and we would have to get another one. Three days later I came home from work, got out of the car and there it was, on the ground right next to my car, near where I had been pruning the wisteria. I was so happy I practically floated across the yard to show Vince. It's now safely wrapped around my middle finger until I can get into town and get it shrunk!

Oh, and I forgot to photograph the books, I will soon, they look lovely. That's the easy bit...now I have to try and sell them!

No comments:

Post a Comment