The Owl and The Pussy Cat

The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea In a beautiful 'red and white'(!) boat, They took some honey, and plenty of money, Wrapped up in a five pound note. The Owl looked up to the stars above, And sang to a small guitar, 'O lovely Pussy! O Pussy my love, What a beautiful Pussy you are, You are, You are!What a beautiful Pussy you are!'


Edward Lear











Saturday 16 June 2012

A quick bit of quilting

One of the things I've been working on while at home, sheltering from the wind and rain is (one of!) my quilt(s).
Here are the three layers spread out on the floor. On the bottom is the top (?), on top of that, for the padding, is an old blanket I bought from our local recycling centre for £1.50. On top is the backing, which is a not-quite-big-enough old sheet. This is a traditional frugal quilt made entirely from reclaimed/recycled offcuts and scraps. I don't quite understand quilters who buy new bits of material, cut them into small pieces and then stitch them all together again.
note what a not-very tidy room I have?!
here's the back, pinned and partly stitched together
 A close up of the stitching on the front
 And a general view of the pinned and partly stitched front/top.


I've been putting this bit off for ages because I kept reading that it was difficult, that it's easy to end up with wrinkles and uneven bits. But of course that doesn't matter, this is a quilt made to keep us warm and look pretty. It's not been made to win any prizes, and it certainly doesn't matter if it has a few wrinkles, after all it will match Vince and I as we grow older together!
There's still lots of stitching to do, and I need to resolve the not-quite-big-enough backing sheet, but I feel I'm nearing the end now, and I think it will be stitched together enough this autumn to go on the bed, even if it's not quite finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment