The Owl and The Pussy Cat

The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea In a beautiful 'red and white'(!) boat, They took some honey, and plenty of money, Wrapped up in a five pound note. The Owl looked up to the stars above, And sang to a small guitar, 'O lovely Pussy! O Pussy my love, What a beautiful Pussy you are, You are, You are!What a beautiful Pussy you are!'


Edward Lear











Monday 21 January 2013

Making pastys

 Vince was getting bored of cheese sandwiches for lunch, and I have a freezer full of meat that needs eating. I've been vegetarian on and off over the years, but as it's factory farming I disapprove of I'm happy to eat home grown or local organic meat. As I'm not rearing any animals at the moment I've started buying a meat box once a month from a local organic farm. The last box we had had some 'skirt' in it, which my research told me was the traditional pasty meat filling. (I'm tempted to do a 'skirt' joke here, but I won't!)
We like a lot of veg in our pasties so I chopped up carrot, onion, swede and potato and stirred in salt, pepper and some paprika.

Pasty ingredients

All chopped up
(a bit of leftover red cabbage sneaked in there..)
 Home made wholemeal pastry (might have been half and half actually)

Yum
I'm really pleased with them. That bowlful of filling made tons, so there are lots in the freezer, definitely a nice change from cheese sandwiches. I might make some cheese and veg ones sometime.
I love cooking. I particularly love cooking with what I've got, rather than looking at a recipe and going out to buy ingredients, partly because the shops are three miles away.

2 comments:

  1. I quite agree with your last paragraph. Absolutely my attitude to cooking - leading to some happy accidents as well as disasters! If I do use recipes - which isn't very often - they're starting points only and always adapted.

    (Reading about cooking and looking at your yummy pictures is so much more enjoyable than struggling with a tricky bit of Novel while looking out of the window at the icy rain and breathing in the smell of damp Dog as she lies behind my chair. . .)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo my they look good! Can almost smell them up the hill!
    Youve been a busy girl! Loved the new phone pouch too, bet Vince was chuffed! x

    ReplyDelete